December Prayer Focus
November Prayer Focus – Spiritual Gifts
1 Corinthians 12 (ESV)
4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; 5 and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; 6 and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. ……………… 11 All these are empowered by one and the same Spirit, who apportions to each one individually as he wills.
So when you pray for spiritual gifts:
- Allow the Holy Spirit to give you the gifts you need when you need them for the building up of the Body of Christ.
- Be bold in using and sharing what God gives you when he gives you something to share.
- The way to receive the gifts of the Spirit and that fullness of the Spirit called baptism is to ask for it. Ask others who believe in it to pray for you. Anointing with oil has been used by the Body of Christ in early years to be the symbol of the Holy Spirit. Have those who know about the gifts pray for you and anoint you with oil. Or anoint yourself.
- Pray for others to be filled with the Holy Spirit – not just the gifts but the very presence of Christ within which brings in the Fruit of the Spirit into your life. Pray for your children when they go to sleep to be filled with love, joy, peace, goodness, faithfulness, humility and self-control.
- Remember not to worry so much as to whether you have the spiritual gifts as to whether you are using the gifts you have to love and build up others.
- Do NOT make Baptism in the Holy Spirit about the gift of tongues. Do not demand that of yourself or God.
- The chief benefit of Baptism in the Holy Spirit is the ability to hear God and through hearing God’s truth to be healed of emotional wounds so that you are whole and effective for life, love and God.
Source : http://www.listening-prayer.com/types%20of%20prayer/spiritual%20gifts.html
October Prayer Focus – Light
Matthew 5:14-16 New International Version (NIV)
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”
As the nights draw in and the mornings take longer to brighten up our thoughts often turn to the lighter days earlier in the year. Also, as the endless costumes and props in every shop we go in it reminds us, October brings us Halloween which brings to mind the darkness and light of a spiritual nature.
The Bible tells us that as Christians we carry the light of God in us. This light is a perfect light, it gives comfort, brings peace, gives hope and pushes back all darkness.
During this month join us in praying about how you can carry this light in to all areas of your life and bring light to where it is needed most:
- Where are you during the week that needs God’s light to be brought to it? How could you do that? Ask God for strength and wisdom to do this.
- What do you hide your light with, what is your metaphorical ‘bowl’? Ask God to highlight them and help you deal with them.
- Are there any members of your family that need God’s light to shine upon them? Ask God to show you who, how and to provide opportunities.
- How can you shine God’s light within church? Ask God to show you what ministry you could be investing in to; whether that is time, prayer, finance or encouragement.